Who are IX Liverpool and what do they do?
IX Liverpool (Liverpool Internet Exchange) is a collaborative and co-operative non-profit organisation, that provides a network for members to connect and share their Internet connections for the benefit of Liverpool businesses and organisations.
These members of IX Liverpool include Baltic Broadband, MICT Ltd, National Telecoms UK and Internet of Things Ltd. Each member provides essential services vital to IX Liverpool and local businesses from broadband, telephony, IT support, cloud, security, storage and other services. In addition, all members bring experience, knowledge, flexibility and reliability to the city.
For businesses of all shapes, sizes and sectors, high speed Internet connections are required to connect with customers, partners and suppliers. As the business community of the Liverpool City Region (LCR) develops and interconnects with the UK economy and beyond, the demand placed on the city’s local Internet infrastructure increases.
Based in Liverpool’s Baltic Triangle, IX Liverpool helps to facilitate fast, reliable and open Internet connections to small business startups and larger organisations in the city region. This helps not only to support the local economy, but also provides a connectivity infrastructure supporting the city region by adding resilience, which reduces Liverpool’s dependency on other UK cities for sufficient Internet bandwidth.
As well as providing local Internet connections, there are other benefits that IX Liverpool brings to the city region.
These include the following below:
- Roll-out of free Wi-Fi connections across the streets of Liverpool, allowing local businesses to connect with visitors and residents.
- By attracting and connecting digital businesses, this helps to create highly-skilled jobs locally.
- As a non-profit organisation, IX Liverpool has an open joining policy. This means anyone can become a member of IX Liverpool in return for a yearly fee of £120, which funds the organisation to enable it to serve the city region.
- Faster and better connectivity will also enable better innovation in Liverpool’s renowned medical science and research facilities.
- Improved connections will also benefit Liverpool’s schools, colleges and universities.
- By providing a strong local Internet community, IX Liverpool helps to manage traffic locally, providing faster speeds, better reliability and is ultimately more cost effective.
IX Liverpool is growing beyond to serve the wider city region. Last December, it was announced that IX Liverpool and Baltic Broadband were working together to install a connection of 10Gbps to the North Liverpool areas of Everton and Vauxhall. This will benefit the regeneration of the city by providing quality Internet connectivity to the Ten Streets Project, supporting future businesses as well as local residents.
In summary, IX Liverpool plays an important and under appreciated role in supporting the regeneration of Liverpool and the surrounding region. As the local economic landscape changes, the importance of providing high-quality Internet connections cannot be underestimated, as fast speeds are paramount in supporting local businesses and residents. This is why IX Liverpool is crucial in helping the city in joining others such as London, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Dublin, Prague and Warsaw in building a powerful local Internet community.