This is something I have thought long and hard about. Yet it is a difficult question to ask, because there is no single or sure-fire way to be successful. In my opinion, success is a combination of positive factors and behaviours working productively together to reach a positive outcome or achievement.
Success can be defined as anything that an individual, team of individuals, or an organisation have achieved and feel proud about. They can be big or small, and either personal or professional. These can be from businesses winning multi-million pound contracts, entrepreneurs running their own successful ventures, or even of a personal nature such as raising a family, or climbing Mount Kilimanjaro for charity.
To be successful requires you to commit maximum effort to whatever goals you have set for yourself. Secondly you must also have the belief and mental resilience to withstand the inevitable obstacles that you will encounter along your journey. It is through the above that successful people and organisations are driven by heartfelt passion, in addition to having the commitment and steel to rise above and overcome the obstacles they face.
There are also other important qualities required to be successful. I have provided some examples of these below, many of which are also applicable to your personal life.
- Never be driven solely by money as it is derivative and highly destructive.
- Think how you can help others first.
- Remember to always listen before speaking.
- Ensure you have the necessary skills required and continually learn new ones.
- Know your capabilities and limitations.
- Understand yourself as a brand as we are all marketers.
- Learn to be resilient and manage stress.
- Make the most of opportunities presented to you.
- Don’t be afraid to fail, but remember to learn from them.
- Be honest with yourself and others.
- List personal goals that are achievable, realistic, and that also ignites your enthusiasm.
- Be prepared to be flexible by constantly realigning your goals, with where your business/organisation is going.
- Communication is important to develop good personal and professional relationships.
- Learn how to deal with office politics.
- Treat everyone equally and with humility.
- Treat your work seriously, but don’t take yourself seriously.
- Network with people from different professions and backgrounds.
You must also remember to take the time to relax. Focusing entirely on your career, can neglect your physical and mental health, as well as relationships with family, friends, colleagues and even business clients. Even the successful ones, realise the importance of not only spending quality time with family, but also have a hobby or two that brings enjoyment and allows them to release stress. Having hobbies and interests outside of your career also helps to show you as a more rounded person.
There is no easy path to success. As the world changes, from politics, technology, economics and others, you will encounter many obstacles, both personally and professionally. These will test your personal belief in what you strive to set out to achieve. Overcoming them will not always be easy, as there will be occasions where some will grind you down. In addition, there will also be mistakes and failures that you will make and encounter, as you venture along your chosen path.
The key to succeed is to keep believing in yourself, your values, who you aspire to be, and to help others on your journey.
Anyone can be successful with courage, and a dogged determination to keep going through the good and bad times.
Thanks for reading!